Monday, March 2, 2009

Twitter, Tweets, and a Snow Day

Well, I’ve done it. I’ve jumped into Twitter. I will go on record as saying that I did not do it because a bunch of politicians could not sit still during the President’s speech last week and began to tweet all over the place. I did it because it seems that those in education who want to remain connected seem to be doing it.

Twitter is great because the people who I follow, send reading recommendations, and I can really keep up with what my fellow professionals are thinking. Yet, I wonder about tweets that say, “I’m at the airport,” or “I cleaned the house today.” This seems to me to be a bit too much information. But I guess that’s the price we pay to be connected.

Which brings me to my fear. Do we always have to be connected in so overt a way? Those who have read my blog know that I care to be connected to my fellow human beings in a deep and spiritual way. But when that connection becomes so obvious and overt, then our connections might boil down to simple logistics and gossip. I think we can do better than that.

So here I am, entering yet another phase of our technological world. Can I live a life that can stand to be out of touch for a bit? Today is a snow day here in eastern Pennsylvania. With a day off from work, I rose this morning at my usual hour, I read a little Thomas Keating, read a little Acts of the Apostles, did a few Sudoku puzzles, had an extra cup of coffee, and then signed onto my computer to check news, tweets, and blogs, and to write in my own blog. I wonder what this says about me. Is there such a thing as a quiet day, a whole day, without technological connectivity? Now I’m not even sure what I am really afraid of: technology taking over my life, or my letting it. Shouldn’t I be out sledding or something?

3 comments:

Don said...

I would re-interpret your snowy day experience differently: connectedness with a larger net.

You connect with by-gone souls through literature, some of my favorite mentors are the authors I've read.

You connect with God via the Apostle Paul.

You connect with like-minded teachers/learners via your blog.

Twitter, just more connectedness.

At least you're interactive. I didn't read about TV or other non-participatory activities.

Technology allows us to cast the net of friendship and involvement across the planet, and allows us to create a supportive community of family, friends, and folk we may have never met but for technology.

Technology? Maybe it's just words moved to a different medium.

Don

Peter said...

Thanks, Don, for your comments. I knew it was something like that. You just found the words better than I could. Balance is very important. Thanks, again!

Sherrie said...

My mom is on Twitter. I don't know how to handle this.

I've thought about joining. But it seems that if I don't have an of-the-moment cell phone with instant net connectivity, it'd be kind of pointless. Besides, what would I say? Probably things like, 'I'm off to the grocery store.'

And you and I both know - that's juuust a bit too much info. ;)