Monday, November 3, 2008

And the Winner Is...


Life is about competition, a friend once told me. It's survival of the fittest; winner take all; just win, baby.

Hey, I like the idea of winning. The Philadelphia Phillies, a team that looked good in spring training, better in April, a little off in May, and so on, delighted us all, in this region, with a World Series championship.

I think I have had enough of competition, however. Isn't there a time when we are not trying to beat our fellow man into the ground? I knew that we had gone over the edge when we started to play sudoku competitively. In fact the Philadelphia Inquirer just announced that a proud Philadelphia had won the bid to host the 2010 World Sudoku Championship. What a fool I have been: I always thought that sudoku was a way to relax at the end of the day, a little game to play. Suddenly, I feel the need to practice, to get better, to beat others into the ground with my number crunching prowess, to show that I am the best, that I am number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!

Wait. Is that really what life is about?

1 comment:

Joy said...

Pete,
The next thing you know they will be calling Sudoku a sport, you will have to get a uniform, a mascot, and cheerleaders.

Go Pete!